Friday, May 15, 2009

Cuckoo's Nest I

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest begins with the typical day of Chief Bromden. Most of Part 1 describes the typical day at the ward for the Chronics and the Acutes as well as Bromden's flashbacks of his past giving the reader a background on the narrator. The flashbacks enter with a nice flow with a fluent string of thought like Kerouac's excerpt from On The Road. Bromden's descriptions and his "cagey" attitude makes me wonder what qualifies him to be there at the ward. I have a lot more questions then thoughts about Part 1. On page twenty-eight "Outside" and "Inside" are capitalized. I've read it and I still have no clue what Bromden is referring to and why those words are punctuated that way. Nurse Ratched reminds me of (if I remember correctly) Orwell's "oligarchical collectivism." She tames/fixes the out of order. No one has a say and she IS the government of the ward. I don't believe she is out to help the patients. What did Bromden mean about her "plan?" She's the director and she's cast her whole show. Ratched drove out all the smart doctors to hold out for one she could manipulate. She hired a specific staff of black boys who hated as much as she did. Is her intention to feel superior? I can't answer anything and the second part just starting to answer my questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment